The unit manager of Rauma, Juha Hauta-Heikkilä, has been working for Logistikas for 12 years, and transportation manager Petri Kaurtola has 30 years of experience in project and transportation logistics.
They have the responsibility of selling and executing project logistics, which is a service offered in the close proximity of a port in Finland by few companies. However, Logistikas has offered the service which requires great expertise since 1997 in Rauma.
– The project logistics concept of Logistikas Ltd includes various import and export projects, but the demand usually leans towards exporting, Petri Kaurtola describes.
– Project logistics is usually centered around Logistikas cooperating with forwarding companies. The customer is rarely the actual owner or manufacturer of the product itself, Hauta-Heikkilä emphasizes.
The manufacturers are commonly from the preparatory industry, and handling their products requires experience and expertise. Logistikas Ltd has offered project logistics services since establishment of the company, which in turn has brought over 20 years of experience. The importance of flexibility has been learned along the multitude of years.
– For example, Logistikas is able to adapt to changes in the amount of workers and equipment needed according to the customer’s needs, which is incredibly important when considering we handle everything from small boxes to elements which can weigh over a hundred tons, Kaurtola outlines.
Logistikas Ltd is located in the close proximity of the port of Rauma. This benefits the customer as well.
– Rauma has the third most active port in Finland in its shipping container transportation, but in addition the port has competitive prices in sea transportation compared to the other ports of the country. The prices of Logistikas are also extremely competitive, which combined with our expertise helps our customer save money in the expenses of project logistics services, Hauta-Heikkilä explains.
– The ability to meet the needs of the customer in changes of schedules is a great advantage of Logistikas. Logistikas Ltd is a partner which offers project logistics as an overall service without losing its flexibility, Kaurtola adds.
The exportation service offered by Logistikas includes transporting the products to the terminal, sea export packing including materials, and stuffing the cargo to the containers and flat racks before they are delivered to the port.
The importation services cover unloading and other terminal operations before transporting the cargo to the customer with the assistance of a contract transportation company. This way, the containers can be returned back to the port and used in other operations immediately which in turn results in fewer transportation and reduced expenses. Container demurrage fees and other unexpected expenses related to delays are completely avoided.
– Logistikas Ltd has a project packing department in which packing and delivery functions are performed daily and in two shifts each day if necessary. The seaworthy packages are constructed from elements optimized for container transportation.
– Though we have a few of our own trucks, Logistikas is not a transportation company because the deliveries are specifically operated through partnerships with contract transportation companies, Hauta-Heikkilä specifies.
– Accidents rarely happen with project logistics due to our expertise, but our policy has always been to quickly and honestly inform our customers in those cases, Kaurtola recalls.
– We have rarely struggled with the customers in deciding who is responsible for what during the accidents because the customer is aware of the responsibilities, existing insurances, and terms of the contract since the beginning of the partnership, Kaurtola explains.
– In our most recent customer satisfaction investigation, our partner companies praised our transparent unit pricing, flexibility and our positive service attitude. We are actively working to keep the mutual trust to ensure successful partnerships, Juha Hauta-Heikkilä concludes.